WILSON, BENJAMIN F (BIO) - Columbia County, Arkansas | BENJAMIN F (BIO) WILSON - Arkansas Gravestone Photos

Benjamin F (bio) WILSON

Ebenezer ( Village) Cemetery
Columbia County,
Arkansas

March 19, 1842 - October 8, 1919


Benjamin F. Wilson, agriculturist. One of the best and neatest farms in Columbia County is owned by Mr. Wilson, and his prosperity can be traced to his own energy, earnest and sincere endeavor and good judgment. He was born in Autauga County, Ala., on March 19, 1842. His grandfather, Benjamin Wilson, was born on September 3, 1773, of English descent, and during the War of 1812 served in the American army with the rank of captain. His father, Wells W. Wilson, was born in Virginia May 28, 1813, but was reared to manhood in Alabama, to which State his father had moved when he was a small boy, and there he was brought up to farm labor. He was married, in 1840, to Miss Elizabeth Rogers, a native of South Carolina, and the daughter of Jonathan and Sarah (Roundtree) Rogers, both of whom were natives of South Carolina, and ten years later the young couple sought a home in this State, and in 1850 they located in Ouachita County. The following year they came to this county and entered a farm in Boone Township, and on this farm the widow is still living, her husband having departed this life on May 13, 1887. He was a stanch Democrat, and held the office of justice of the peace of Boone Township for about ten years previous to the war. He united with the Protestant Methodist Church in 1848, and at the time of his death was a prominent member of that body, and his widow still worships in that church. They were the parents of eleven children, eight of whom are still living: Benjamin F., George W., Martha, Penny, Dora, Robert, Lon T. and Alice. George W. is a prominent farmer of Boone Township, and cultivates about 100 acres of land. Martha is now Mrs. Lewis, of Waldo, Ark. Penny married W. I. Jameson, and resides on a farm comprising 200 acres, lying in this county. Dora is now Mrs. Dixon, and her home is in Boone Township, where her husband owns 160 acres of land. Robert R. is a farmer by occupation, and owns 805 acres; his operations are carried on in this county. Lon T. is also a farmer by occupation, and owns 805 acres in this township; and Alice is now Mrs. Snider, of Cleveland Township. Benjamin F. Wilson attained his growth in this township, and in its common schools his education was obtained. In May 1861, he enlisted in the Sixth Arkansas Infantry, and the following year was transferred to the Fifteenth Arkansas Infantry, in which he served until the close of the war, and during this time participated in a great many battles and skirmishes, among the principal of which may be mentioned Fort Donelson, Port Hudson and Jenkins’ Ferry. At Fort Donelson he was twice wounded, first by a minie ball in the right side, and again by a minie-ball in the left leg. At this place he was captured and taken to St. Louis, where he was held until his wounds were healed, when he was taken to Camp Douglas, Chicago, and after being retained there for six months he was exchanged, and rejoined his regiment at Vicksburg. At Port Hudson he was again captured, and on July 8, 1863, he returned home on parole, and the following fall again rejoined his regiment. After the surrender he returned home and commenced farming for himself on the old homestead, and continued his operations there until 1868, when he moved to Union County, and there he tilled the soil until 1883. At that time he settled on his present farm (then entirely within the woods with no improvements), and he now owns 200 acres, with about eighty acres under cultivation. November 4, 1868, witnessed his marriage with Miss May Lewis, a native of Autauga County, Ala., born February 20, 1843, and the daughter of Joseph and Annie (Johnson) Lewis, natives of Georgia and North Carolina, of English descent. The fruits of their union have been five children: Mary, Edwin, George E., Benjamin F. and Pearl. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are both devoted members of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and in politics the former is a stanch Democrat, taking an active interest in the political affairs of the county. In 1881 he was elected school director, and still fills that office with credit to himself and satisfaction to the community. He aids with his support and encouragement all measures tending toward the welfare of the community, and is conceded to be one of its leading citizens.

Contributed on 3/4/09 by debbraszymanski
Email This Contributor

Record #: 162874

NOTICE: THE COPYING OF ANY WEBSITE PHOTO OR DATA WITHOUT THE EXPRESS CONSENT OF THE ARKANSAS GRAVESTONES ADMINISTRATORS OR OWNER OF THE PHOTO SHALL BE CONSTRUED AS THEFT AND COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. SEE TERMS OF USE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.

Thank you for visiting the Arkansas Gravestones

On this site you can upload gravestone photos, locate ancestors and perform genealogy research. If you have a relative buried in Arkansas, we encourage you to upload a digital image using our Submit a Photo page. Contributing to this genealogy archive helps family historians and genealogy researchers locate their relatives and complete their family tree.

Submitted: 3/4/09 • Approved: 12/7/17 • Last Updated: 12/10/17 • R162874-G0-S3

Other GPP Projects  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Site Map  |  Admin Login